Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"Til Death do Us Part" Halloween Wreath

Looooooong time, no see. Huh!? Instead of boring you to death with what's been going on I'll just make a super short list of thing's that have happened since I last posted (in MAY!!! I know, I'm horrible). 
In the past few months we've:

- Poured concrete patio on the side of our house and half of our driveway

- Mounted new oven vent ...the super fancy kind that 'floats'  down from the ceiling that we got for $300 (marked down from $1300!!!) at the San Diego ReStore.

- Created a garden out of stacked paver stones

Really exciting stuff, right? Yea, not really  ;)

I'll get to all of those eventually, but for now we're keepin it simple with home-made Halloween wreaths! My sister-in-law, Brandi hosted a wreath making party last weekend. We all bought our own wreath forms, but we also bought random items share for decorating the wreaths. I found a picture of a snake/vine wreath on Martha's site and used that idea to build on for my own. I wanted it to have a "Til Death Do Us Part" / decaying grave site that's been over run with snakes and spiders sort of look. 


Here are all of my supplies (glitter spiders not pictured). 



Vine wreath - $4.50
Coffin - Came in a pack with a second coffin and two pumpkins for about $3
Skulls - $1.50 each
Glitter spiders - Pack of 6 for $2.50
Roses - 3 roses per stem at $6 each

The hardest items to find were the snakes. I thought for sure that Michael's would have had them. No dice. During a random trip to the dollar store I scored two long snakes and two packs of baby snakes for $4.


The day before the wreath party, which also turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year, I spray painted the wreath and all of my snakes. I thought for sure they were going to melt right onto the board in our back yard! I swear it was so hot I felt like an ant under a magnifying glass. Gotta love fall in Southern California.


The best part of this wreath is that it takes just a few minutes to put everything together. I started by wrapping one long snake around the whole wreath. then I tucked the smaller snakes in between the vines of the wreath.


To attach the skulls, I just sliced of a section from the back of each one, so that they would lie flat against the wreath. Since hot glue melts styrofoam pretty quickly, I covered the back of the skulls with a piece of felt that was lightly covered in hot glue and allowed to cool a bit. Then I  added more hot glue to the back side of the felt and attached that to the vine wreath.



Then I added in the roses. The stems of each rose (about 4 inches long) were easy to tuck in between the vines. Next came the glitter spiders. Again, just tuck them in. It couldn't be easier!


Next up was the coffin. My idea was to cut out the center of the lid, then tuck in a pack of LED lights ($2.99 ikea) behind a scrap of red fabric. Cutting the lid wasn't easy. It was pretty small, so that made getting scissors in there and a cutting a straight line difficult.


Here it is after cutting away the center of the lid and adding the fabric and lights. (Please ignore the giant knife to the right of the picture below. It was completely unnecessary. Anyway. As you can see, the casket was not so pretty. I decided to nix the it altogether. It just wasn't working out like I had pictured in my noggin. But I tried to make it look a little nicer by covering the lid with a piece of spider web lace. (See last picture)


As for hanging, I just slipped an -over-the-door coat hanger on the mirror in our entry and hung the wreath from a ribbon.



Here's a picture of what I did with the coffin. I had a few bunches of black roses left over from Michael's and the Dollar Store. So I popped them in a vase and nestled the coffin right in there. 



And with the lights off...


Have any of y'all made a Halloween wreath? I'll be hosting the next wreath making party in December. I'm gonna show everyone how to make a coffee filter wreath like this one...


------ CLICK HERE FOR THE TUTORIAL -------

1 comment:

Becky said...

I did not know you had posted when we talked! LOVIN this wreath...always wanted to do a snake wreath...but, you know the drill! Glad to see you post!